Wangdue Dzong was built in 1638. The name was given by Ngawang Namgyal Rinpoche. One significant story is connected to this dzong. At the chosen spot of dzong, he got to meet one poor boy playing beside river,fortunately his name was also Wangdi and hence he named the dzong Wangdue .
One of the great former Teacher organized a tshechu(festival) in which traditional mask are performed to attract the river spirits who was disturbing the reconstruction of the bridge. As the spirit stayed engrossed in the festivity, Dom Chung, with several hundred men, sneaked down the river and completed the bridge. The spirit unleashed many floods to bring down the bridge, but the Wangzop, true to his clever character, had a worked design into the foundation pillars to withstand the force of the water.
Wangdue Dzong has 14 temples, including Kunrey (assembly hall of monks). The Goenkhang has a figure of gonpo (Mahakala) carved on a stone slab.Wangdue Dzong was razed to the ground on 26 June 2012. It is believed that an electrical short circuit causes the fire. Though most of the Dzong expect for one monastery was destroyed, religious and historical relic managed to be rescued by volunteers and care keepers.
- AddressWangdue Phodrang , Bhutan
- Category Destinations, Fortress, Monastery
- Location Wangdue Phodrang
- Tag Bhutan, Bumthang, Destinations, events, Festival, Gasa, Haa, Paro, Punakha, Thimphu, Trashigang, TSHECHU, Wangdue Phodrang, Wangdue Phodrang Dzong, Zhemgang
- By Mapper
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org